The fickle weather in Auckland can be a bit of a headache to plan around. An ideal beach day can just as easily become a wet and windy blur without warning. The great news is there’s plenty of things to do on a rainy day in Auckland, regardless of your interests. So, if your plans are rained out and you don’t know what to do, check out this list! (Bonus: Most of them are super cheap!)
25 things to do on a rainy day in Auckland
1. Spend an afternoon sipping tea and put your brain power to good use at Cakes n Ladders board game cafe. Entry is $2.50 NDZ hourly per person.
2. Catch an indie flick at the cozy Academy Cinemas, located in the Central Business District. Tickets are just $5 on Wednesday nights!
3. Tour Auckland’s well-known Tip Top ice cream factory and observe how they make the award-winning dessert for just $7 NZD
4. Stuff your face, enjoy a unique cocktail and take in the ambiance at Britomart’s XuXu Dumpling and Cocktail Bar. Dumplings are as low as $8 NZD
5. Stroll through the Victorian-style Auckland Domain Wintergardens and enjoy a wide collection of New Zealand flora. Best part: It’s totally free!
6. Grab a group of friends and experience a psychedelic sensory overload at the Odyssey Sensory Maze
7. Peruse the unique pieces at the Auckland Art Museum. The space has some pretty historical pieces, including the Māori Portraits: Gottfried Lindauer’s New Zealand exhibit, which runs through February 2017.
8. Get acquainted with New Zealand’s history at the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Pro tip: Admission is free if you’re a resident of Auckland!
9. Satisfy your sweet tooth by ordering an oversized milkshake at one of the three Casa del Gelato locations.
10. Clink some freshly beers with friends at Brother’s Brewery, a low-key brewery in Auckland’s Central Business District. Not only are there 15 rotating beers on tap, but there are over 150 Kiwi beers to choose from!
11. Explore the nooks and crannies of the elusive Hard to Find bookstore. Hint: it’s located in a basement.
12. Test your strength and willpower at the Birkenhead Indoor Climbing Wall
13. Tour one of the local Heritage Houses in town. The entrance fee is just $10 NZD!
14. Blast off to outer space for an hour or two by catching a show at the Stardome Observatory in One Tree Hill
15. Nosh on some craft beer battered onion rings at The Garden Shed in Mt. Eden
16. Get a group of friends together and take advantage of the $4 pizza deal at Freeman & Grey. Yep. $4 pizza.
17. Groove to some live tunes at The Portland Public House.
18. Treat your tastebuds to a quick trip to Korea and dine at the popular and oh so delicious BannSang
19. Spend the afternoon with rescue cats at Auckland’s Barista Cats Cafe!
20. Channel your inner state of zen inside a float tank at Float Culture
21. Book a spot at the Heritage Hotel for Chef Jinu Abraham’s unique vegan high tea experience
22. Improve your team building skills at one of Auckland’s many escape rooms
23. Pop in to popular antique cake shop Bluebell’s Cakery for some sugary delights
24. Gain some peace of mind in a free meditation course
25. Shoot a hole-in-one at Gloputt, Auckland’s own indoor glow-in-the-dark miniature golf course
Want to add anything to the list? Let me know in the comments below!